In December 2016, I gave a talk at CSSDay on the “in-betweeners” of responsive web design. The focus of the talk was on the importance of content-centric breakpoints over device-centric ones, building mobile-first, and tricks for building better responsive websites.
Below are my slides, the video of the talk, and additional resources. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to hit me up on Twitter.
Tools & Resources
- Content-Out Layout by Nathan Ford
- Quantity Queries for CSS by Heydon Pickering
- Using CSS Mod Queries with Range Selectors by Patrick Clancey
- Laziness in the Time of Responsive Design by Ethan Marcotte (video)
- Container Queries: Once More Unto the Breach by Mat Marquis
- Useful :nth-child Recipes
- The Complete Guide to Flexbox
- Grid by Example – Usage examples of CSS Grid Layout
- The Experimental Layout Lab of Jen Simmons
- I totally forgot about print style sheets by Manuel Matuzovic
- Designing for Screen Reader Compatibility on WebAIM